IMACHRISTIAN.NET

...the churches of Christ salute you! Rom 16:16

• Increase font size
  • Default font size
  • Decrease font size
Home The Light Articles from 2011 Why Hast Thou Forsaken Me?

Why Hast Thou Forsaken Me?

E-mail Print PDF

The 53rd chapter of Isaiah is one that is very solemn and sadden­ing for therein was a prophecy given which he could readily relate to. Isaiah was a lonely man, misunderstood and persecuted. Many times it seemed his efforts for the moral wel­fare of his countrymen were resound­ing failures. He knew rejection and the feeling of being forsaken by the very people who he tried so zealously to bring to serve God. I think it very fitting that, and maybe herein we see one of the major things instrumental in bringing our Lord sorrow and grief.
But now I wish to awaken us all to the fact that we, even today, can also forsake Christ. Paul, as he wrote to the Hebrew brethren in Hebrews 6:6 spoke of crucifying our Lord afresh and putting him to an open shame.
Now, I want every one of us to know Christ was not just rejected and forsaken while he was literally on this earth. He was (figuratively speaking) not just crucified once. He was not put to an open shame just in Jerusalem. He is experiencing all these things by every one of us who fail to live as we should. I want us to know, every sin we commit, every disobedience, every action, every word unfitly spoken, every worldly god espoused is a rejection and is to forsake Jesus and openly shames him. I want to show you some of the ways you can forsake now.
First, in 2nd Peter 2:15 I read of those who have forsaken the right way and are gone astray, following the way of Balaam the son of Bosor who loved the wages of unrighteous­ness.
Now what sins are we talking about here? We are talking about a person who knows what is right, but does not want to do what is right and goes ahead against the Lord's will and conscience and does wrong to gain what the carnal being desires. That's Balaam's way. Do we ever act that way? Do we give in to pride, wrongful desires, tempers, tongues, feelings, love of money, apathy, lazi­ness, dishonesty. Search your heart. Renew your life. Did you forsake Jesus? Did you shame him?  Second, In 2nd Timothy 4:10 Paul declares "Demas hath forsaken me, having loved this present world." Now what do we have here? We have a person who permits the things of this world to come between them and their Lord. And this is sometimes a hard one to recognize unless we are completely honest. The things of this world that can entice us are many. They are not all bad within them­selves, such as, our occupations, our friends, our entertainment, our hob­bies (fishing, hunting, cars, cooking, knitting, shopping), our families (when not Christians). What is more important to you? What do you love most...making money or converting a sinner; worldly friends or Chris­tians; entertainment (shopping, hunt­ing, games, parties) or church services? Demas loved the world more and forsook his fellow Christians and his work in the church...converting sinners, church services, and in doing so he forsook Christ and put him to an open shame.
Third, In Hebrews 10:25 Paul commands, "Not forsaking the as­sembling of ourselves together, as the manner of some is, but exhorting one another; and so much the more, as ye see the day approaching." In this fast paced world today, with all of its pressures and cares and needs and diversions, sometimes people forget that the Lord's day is the Lord's day. True Christian people look forward to the appointed time of worship. They should make their plans around being at worship.
Friends coming, the cooking of meals, the chores at home, work to be done, daycare to be given...any preparation to be made should be planned and arranged
so that we can be at the designated place of worship at the proper time and in the proper attitude to worship every first day of the week, unless we are absolutely providentially hindered.
To forsake the assembly is to for­sake Jesus.. .Friend, don't forsake the assembly of the church. Jesus will be there and you openly shame him if you are not present.
Fourth, the child of God who turns away from the Lord crucifies him afresh and becomes a backslider. Jesus said in Matthew 24:12, "And because iniquity shall abound, the love of many shall wax cold." Paul says in Hebrews 4:1, "Let us there-forebear, lest, a promise being left us of entering into his rest, any of you should seem to come short of it." Oh, what a fearful thing to forsake Jesus. Listen to the apostle Peter in 2nd Peter 2:20, "For if after they have escaped the pollutions of the world through the knowledge of the Lord and Sav­iour Jesus Christ, they are again en­tangled therein, and overcome, the latter end is worse with them than the beginning. For it had been better for them not to have known the way of righteousness, than, after they have known it, to turn from the holy com­mandment delivered unto them." Why Peter? Why worse? Because you have forsaken Jesus-hurt him, broke his heart again, rejected him, deserted him, crucified him and shamed him.
My friends, can you bear such a thought? Somewhere today, maybe there's a young girl whose mother has deserted her daddy and her, and has gone to search for the bright lights and parties and the excitement of the world and the little girl feels miserable and alone. A mother's care she needs so much, the tenderness, kindness-the
goodly advice, the reas­surance, the closeness shall never be hers. She feels cheated, deserted, and unloved. So, she breaks down in bitter tears wondering "Why?"
And then consider the young man whose parents were killed in an auto­mobile accident when he was about ten years old. Foster parents tried, but they weren't "Mom and Dad." See him walk the streets seeking any work to be found so he could eat, sleeping on a park bench or in some vacant building all alone-rejected by the world, without true friends to comfort him. Each hour is an eternity of sadness and lonely solitude.
Or what about the woman who was happily married and bore her first child, a beautiful girl baby-joy reigned in the home until that fateful day the husband met another and left her to raise the child alone and then about two years later, the little girl gets sick and does not recover. They lay her tender little body in a little grave and the mother is left to grieve her life away, wondering "Why?"
Then, there's the father who has a goodly son. Both parents love and pamper him, teaching him the impor­tant things of life-God, honesty, integrity, industry. They watch him grow up to manhood-strong, intelli­gent, handsome, and courageous. But then he becomes rebellious and un­kind and rejects the teaching and training of his youth. He leaves the church, seeks out worldly compan­ions and loves the wages of unrigh­teousness. He leaves home and loved ones and gives his life to lasciviousness, drink and worldly ways.
The father had such hope, expecta­tions, plans centered about his son's welfare, but it was over. His son had rejected him and forsook the ways of goodness that could have led him to heaven. The father's head is bowed in grief. Oh how great the sorrow, to realize you have raised a child to spend eternity in an endless hell. So, in solitude he prays to God that some day, somehow, he will turn around and come back.
Those are distressing pictures of real life aren't they? But if you could put the sorrow of them all together, surely they would not compare to that of the "man of sorrows" who looks upon a world of people he came to save. People he loves. Peo­ple he died for. People he would bless every day... see them reject him and forsake him and hide their faces from him! Today, my friends, Jesus wants us to let him be our Savior, our friend, our elder brother. Oh, the cry from the cross long ago was, "My God, my God, why hast thou for­saken me." But now he realizes God, his Father, did not forsake him. So now might he be speaking to you today saying, "Dear Soul, I died for you. Why, oh why, hast thou for­saken me?"

Translate

Our Friends

User Login