IMACHRISTIAN.NET

...the churches of Christ salute you! Rom 16:16

• Increase font size
  • Default font size
  • Decrease font size

Ah, the Surveys

E-mail Print PDF

Last fall, a study was publicized aiming television these days is loaded with immorality. Well!!... who would have thought it! Imagine that! I wonder how many bright minds in a study-panel it took to conclude that-and how many were shocked at the findings? They claimed double the number of im­moral scenes (that's immoral) aired seven years ago...some 3,800 of them spotted in more than 1,100 shows these researchers studied, twice the number of 1998 (first year Kaiser Family Foundation
surveyed).
Media watchdog groups say there's way too much sex on televi­sion during the hours that kids may be watching. This "kid thing" should be disgusting to a Christian. What
difference does it make?-kids or no kids, it is shamefully wrong, despised by God. While the kids may be influ­enced, the adults will, but the adults should be ashamed of providing the fare for their children, and con­science-smitten for getting hardened to the stuff. The reason why kids are brought into these studies is because no one listens if it only involves adults. Adults can do as they immor­ally please and it's none of "your" business-perfectly acceptable. For some unknown reasons, these rebels against God don't want their children being influenced by what they enjoy and feast upon.
"Kids who have repeated exposure to sexual content become sexually active at an earlier age. The research is absolutely there," per Mr. Tim Winter, executive director
of the Parents Television Council. But that's OK, "We control it!"...notwith­standing, the study found that 70 percent of all shows included some sexual content, averaging about five such scenes per hour. So here is a concerned parent literally wearing out the remote trying to stay on top of the entertainment. And we could tell you what kind of immoral enter­tainment the study named but it would be too embarrassing for both of us. And don't forget, some of this describes the Internet, just a different access-TV just shovels it out there, but you may have to click a link on the Web, actually inviting a look.
"I will set no wicked thing before mine eyes: I hate the work of them that turn aside; it shall not cleave to me" (Psalms 101:3). Not much evil and ungodly stuff finds its way into a home where the father and mother truly hate it. And here is another little line that God thinks we ought to look at: "Neither shalt thou bring an abomination into thine house, lest thou be a cursed thing like it: but thou shalt utterly detest it, and thou shalt utterly abhor it; for it is a cursed thing" (Deuteronomy 7:26). Lest you be damned like it is-perhaps from absorbing its ways. Perhaps in the eroding of your moral values. But what is it doing there in the first place? This principle extends miles beyond the common idol addressed in the Deuteronomy passage. We are supposed to detest such things; we are supposed to utterly abhor things so outrageously coarse, so wretched, so repugnant-so wrong and sinful. What do you think dear father and mother?.. .you are charged with pro­tecting the innocency of your very own children?

Translate

Our Friends

User Login