IMACHRISTIAN.NET

...the churches of Christ salute you! Rom 16:16

• Increase font size
  • Default font size
  • Decrease font size
Home The Light Articles from 2011 The Importance Parental Teaching

The Importance Parental Teaching

E-mail Print PDF

In Proverbs 1:8-10 the wise man said, "My son, hear the instruc­tion of thy father, and forsake not the law of thy mother: for they shall be an ornament of grace unto thy head, and chains about thy neck. My son, if sinners entice thee, consent thou not." The greatest protection against temptation is the teaching in the home. It may be by example or spo­ken precept. The words law of thy mother suggest punishment for dis­obedience. As one man put it, "When either of my parents said jump, I did­n't ask why? I hunkered and asked how far?" My mother taught me to respect my father. My father taught me to respect my mother. I never heard either of them say anything disrespectful of the other. Were they perfect? No, they were human. Did they disagree? Yes, but with respect. When all was said and done, my father was the final authority.
Were we punished for disobedi­ence? Yes, but we were not abused. In Proverbs 19:18 Solomon wrote, "Chasten thy son while there is hope, and let not thy soul spare for his cry­ing." There is hope for directing a child's behavior while they are young. Parents must keep an eye on what the little ones are doing and be consistent. When you see a toddler walk up to the stove and reach to­ward the controls on the front, then say, "Mama, no, no," you know their education has begun. That child al­ready
respects the law of his mother.
The wise man also wrote in Prov­erbs 22:15, "Foolishness is bound in the heart of a child; but the rod of correction shall drive it far from him." In Proverbs 13:24 we read, "He that spareth his rod hateth his son: but he that loveth him chasteneth him betimes."
I realize that we live in a nation where the child protection agency does not see the difference between loving chastening and child abuse. I have been told that children in school are told, "If your parents ever hit you, call this number." I talked with a man who was fined $2500 for hit­ting his son with a belt. He told the judge, "You are helping fill our pris­ons." His son never obeyed him after that and was smart mouthed anc arrogant. Such children have trouble in school and through life. Some end up in prison.
Toddlers learn early the meaning of no. I was watching a little boy playing on the floor at his grand­mother's house. He saw some pretty-things on a low shelf and started toward them. From across the room his mother called his name and said, "no." He stopped and looked at her.  She said "no" again and his bottom lip trembled. She went to him, picked him up and hugged him and said, "You are a good boy." Then she got him interested in some toys on the floor. The young mother is to be
commended-for two things-her vigi­lance and having laid down her law. That child will respect her all his days.
Punishment for disobedience, done in love, is not abuse.  I never got a spanking I didn't deserve, but I deserved some I didn't get. As I grew older, I had rather been whipped than to have my father give me a "talking to." He had a way with words that made you understand not to do that again.
In all this, we knew our parents loved us. Early in life we knew the difference between right and wrong. Truth was expected in all things, even if it meant punishment for wrong doing. Punishment would have been more severe if we didn't "fess up" and were caught in a lie. Also, we didn't mess with each other's things. We were taught to respect the right of possession.  Father taught us to respect mother and all other women. He thought a man who would strike a woman was the lowest of scum! Had I been fool­ish enough to hit my sister, his wrath would have descended upon me.
The worst thing anyone can do to a child is to cause them to disrespect their parents and rebel against their authority. That is being done in our schools today. The government pro­paganda is that parents don't know how to raise their children. This country is moving toward a time when children will be separated from their parents and brought up in a military type environment. Any teaching of God and religion has been removed from our schools. They teach that we were not created, but evolved from the lower order of animals. If this is true, why aren't we still improving?
Many times the instruction of my father, plus the law of my mother caused me to turn away when sinners enticed me. Sadly, there were times I ignored or forgot and suffered guilt feelings for my sins. Whoever you are, there will be sinners who will entice you. Their way of life "is so much fun!" The memory of princi­ples taught in the home will cause you to reject their enticement. We look back with regret on the times we ignored those teachings, our con­science knowing right from wrong.  Today's theology is that many young folks are growing up without parental training. They are not taught right and wrong. The word "sin" is not in their vocabulary. In school, they are taught that fornication is permissible. In fact, it is encouraged. The practice of homosexuality is portrayed as an acceptable alternate lifestyle. Since the
government took over our schools, children are taught government propaganda.  There are college students who will tell you that Karl Marx was a better man
than George Washington. The government experts now say that parents do not know how to teach their children. Yet, as we consider the past, when parents
controlled their children, we had presidents like Washington and Lincoln. Since parents lost control we have had Clinton and Obama. It seems the scripture is fulfilled that God "setteth over them the basest of men." 
In Proverbs 6:16-19 Solomon wrote concerning things that are an abomination to the Lord. Then in verses 20-24 he wrote, "My son, keep thy father's commandment, and forsake not the law of thy mother: Bind them continually upon thine heart, and tie them about thy neck. When thou goest, it shall lead thee; when thou sleepest, it shall keep thee; and when thou awakest, it shall talk with thee. For the commandment is a lamp; and the law is light; and reproofs of instruction are the way of life." And we might add, "rebellion is the way of death!" Hebrews 12:5 tells us, "And ye have forgotten the exhortation which speaketh unto you as unto children, My son, despise not thou the chastening of the Lord, nor faint when thou art rebuked of him." Following our parents' example and submitting to their chastisement and instruction leads us to submit to the will of God. Parents can make mis­takes-God cannot! He has never been wrong and never will be.
The importance of parental teach­ing is stressed in Deuteronomy 6:6-7 where Moses said, "And these words, which I command thee this day, shall be in thine heart: And thou shalt teach them diligently unto thy chil­dren, and shalt talk of them when thou sittest in thine house, and when thou walkest by the way, and when thou liest down, and when thou risest up" Notice: the words "shall be in thine heart." We cannot teach what we do not know. Parents must know and live God's law before they can effectively teach their children.
These things cannot be learned overnight. We all need to keep our minds alert by studying God's Word. What we learn as children stays with us and we can give it to our children. The foundation for Christian charac­ter is laid by faithful parents in the home.
Is the Bible important in our home? Do we read it every day? Does our conversation show our knowledge of the scriptures? Or is our conversation about what we did on the computer or saw on TV? Jesus warned in Matthew 12:37, "For by thy words thou shalt be justified, and by thy words thou shalt be con­demned." Our words tell our chil­dren what is important to us. They start learning very early.
In Hosea 4:6 God said, "My peo­ple are destroyed for lack of knowl­edge: because thou hast rejected knowledge, I will also reject thee, that thou shalt be no priest to me: seeing thou hast forgotten the law of thy God, I will also forget thy children." 1 Peter 2:9 says to Christians, "But ye are a chosen generation, a royal priesthood, an holy nation, a peculiar people; that ye should shew forth the praises of him who hath called you out of darkness into his marvelous light:" We must hold stedfastly to
the truth. If we reject the God given knowledge in the scrip­tures, we will cause God to reject our children. If we don't teach them how to please God,
they will perish for lack of knowledge. -105 W Jefferson, Richland, MO 65556

Translate

Our Friends

User Login