IMACHRISTIAN.NET

...the churches of Christ salute you! Rom 16:16

• Increase font size
  • Default font size
  • Decrease font size
Home The Light Articles from 2010 Cross-dressing Crossroads

Cross-dressing Crossroads

E-mail Print PDF

An early 2010, a fashion company (^/introduced a line of skirts specifi­cally designed for men with the in­tent of making the garments main­stream in society. The following comments came from men praising the clothing store for their bold new designs in men's wear: "If men actu­ally try on this thing, it will not be reversed as a fashion trend because [it] is so...comfortable." "It's about time!...They are much more com­fortable than pants and look great too." "Women shouldn't get all the fun just because they're women." "Men's clothes have not changed in 50+ years; same old boring pants and suits." "I am still wearing my skirts every day and I make no restriction on what [gender] it is. The garment must fit, that's all." "Most of [us] would prefer it. It would be a com­pletely new experience for men." "Let's try something new..." "We have to break that narrow mentality." "Enjoy your freedom..."

Do these comments sound famil­iar? Over the past century worldly women encouraged their "sisters" to abandon skirts and dresses for the more comfortable and fashionable pants and suits. By their example and marketing efforts, nearly every ac­tress in Hollywood and many fashion designers sought to liberate the fe­male gender from the narrow-mind­edness of the traditional Christian code of the female attire.

When I  encountered the above comments, they impressed upon me just how far off our society's cloth­ing trends have digressed. I cannot help but wonder if congregations of the church of Christ will give accep­tance to men wearing skirts and hosen. After all, many now accept women wearing pants. One posted comment posed a good question: "I always ask why women use pants or suits or men's shoes? Nobody says anything... [It] just is accepted." How sad, and how true. When Christians live by society's guidelines, instead of God's Word, then they must em­brace whatever society deems accept­able.

What guidelines does God give for men and women's clothing? Two things: First, men and women's clothing should never cross-gender. "The woman shall not wear that which pertaineth unto a man, neither shall a man put on a woman's gar­ment: for all that do so are abomina­tion unto the Lord thy God" Deut.22:5. Strong's defines abomina­tion as "something disgusting, or an abhorrence."

"That was the Old Testament, and we're no longer under the Law of Moses," some may protest. However, when we turn our attention to the New Testament, we find a similar passage: "Know ye not that the un­righteous shall not inherit the king­dom of God? Be not deceived: nei­ther fornicators, nor idolaters, nor adulterers, nor effeminate, nor abusers of themselves with man­kind... shall inherit the kingdom of God" (lCor.6:9-10). "Effeminate" describes men who dress "soft" like women. Surely this would preclude a man from wearing skirts to avoid looking feminine. God forbids cross-dressing with this verse and lumps it in with all these other sins that will keep one from making it to heaven. Yet, many Christian women think nothing of cross-dressing using mas­culine garments. If women dress like the men, then what will men wear to differentiate themselves from the women? The distinction between the genders fades away.

Secondly, the Bible defines what a woman should wear. "In like manner also, that women adorn themselves in modest apparel..." (lTim.2:9). Mod­est means "seemly," or "of good be­havior." The word "apparel" comes from the Greek word "katastole, "the root of where we get the word "stole." Thayer defines it as "prop­erly meaning a lowering, letting down, hence...in Biblical Greek, a garment let down, dress, attire." From this we gather that the women's liberation movement di­rectly counters the Word of God.

Many Christian women in Amer­ica fail to realize that by cross-dress­ing, they lose their godly influence. As my wife and I sat eating breakfast at a Tennessee restaurant, an evange­list from India approached our table. He complimented us on our godly clothing, but he especially compli­mented my wife's appearance. He pointed out that he can convert mem­bers of a native tribe in India to Christianity very easily because their women already dress the way the Bible teaches. He further stated that it is very difficult to convert people of this same ethnic group who now reside in America because they see Christian women who do not wear dresses and long, uncut hair. To them, if Christian women think so little of what their God tells them to do, then their religion must not be worth practicing. Sisters, if you do

not dress the way God desires, you no longer possess a godly influence. "Ye are the salt of the earth: but if the salt have lost his savour, where­with shall it be salted? It is thence­forth good for nothing, but to be cast out, and to be trodden under foot of men" (Matt.5:13). A sobering thought!

It is obvious that every congrega­tion of the Lord's church in America now arrives at a crossroad: take the path to get back to God's garment plan or identify ourselves with the world by cross-dressing.

-818 Glen-wood Ave., Ottumwa, IA 52501

Translate

Our Friends

User Login