IMACHRISTIAN.NET

...the churches of Christ salute you! Rom 16:16

• Increase font size
  • Default font size
  • Decrease font size

Choices

E-mail Print PDF

In our daily lives we are offered choices that will affect our entire future. Most of us recognize the im­portance of sound judgment in these decisions. We gather information, weigh all options and make the best decision we can for our future.

If we wish to make a legal, finan­cial, or medical decision, we seek a legal, financial, or medical guide. Shouldn't we seek the only spiritual guide for answers to spiritual deci­sions? God's Word will lead us through the maze of confusion the world throws at us concerning eternal decisions.

Moses set some basic choices before the people in his last address to them. "See, I have set before thee this day life and good, and death and evil; in that I command thee this day to love the Lord thy God, to walk in his ways, and to keep his command­ments and his statutes and his judg­ments, that thou mayest live and multiply: and the Lord thy God shall bless thee in the land whither thou goest to possess it. But if thine heart turn away, so that thou wilt not hear, but shalt be drawn away, and wor­ship other gods, and serve them; I denounce unto you this day, that ye shall surely perish, and that ye shall not prolong your days upon the land, whither thou passest over Jordan to go to possess it. I call heaven and earth to record this day against you, that I have set before you life and death, blessing and cursing: therefore choose life, that both thou and thy seed may live..." (Deut. 30:15-19).

Moses cut out all the confusion. He made the choices very simple, "...life and death, blessing and curs­ing. .." The people were commanded to "love the Lord thy God, to walk in his ways, and to keep his command­ments and statutes and judgments..." Doing this, they would be blessed. If they chose to follow "other gods" they would be cursed. Israel had a great choice to make. So do we!

Perhaps some would object be­cause Moses was speaking under a different law to a different audience. The objection is not founded. The apostle Paul, writing to the Hebrew brethren, made a direct application between the people of Israel and Christians. "Wherefore (as the Holy Ghost saith, today if ye will hear my voice, harden not your hearts, as in the provocation, in the day of tempta­tion in the wilderness: when your fathers tempted me, proved me, and saw my works forty years" (Hebrews 3:7-9). The simple choice between "life and death, blessing and cursing" is surely set before each of us today.

In our own egocentric way, we sometimes feel our problems are just greater than any others might have been. One might feel that it is just more complicated today. With so much being pitched about under the guise of religion, how does one know what God's will is? But things are no different. Look at Deuteronomy 30:11-14. "For this commandment which I command thee this day, it is not hidden from thee, neither is it far off. It is not in heaven, that thou shouldest say, Who shall go up for us

to heaven, and bring it unto us, that we may hear it, and do it? Neither is it beyond the sea, that thou shouldest say, Who shall go over the sea for us, and bring it unto us, that we may hear it, and do it? But the word is very nigh unto thee, in thy mouth, and in thy heart, that thou mayest do it." Once again Moses simplified matters. He swept away all condi­tions, exceptions, and complications. The choices before them were simple enough to understand and easy enough to see.

So it is ours today. We must make a choice one way or the other. It is our choice and our responsibility. We are challenged by no one less than Jesus, the Lord. "No man can serve two masters: for either he will hate the one, and love the other; or else he will hold to the one, and despise the other. Ye cannot serve God and mam­mon" (Matt. 6:24). Christ challenges to make a move one way or the other.

If we lack the commitment of a good Christian soldier, we have a decision to make. The old prophet Elijah challenges us today. "And Elijah came unto all the people, and said, How long halt ye between two opinions? If the Lord be God, follow him: but if Baal, then follow him. And the people answered him not a word" (1 Kings 18:21). How his words must ring in the ears of the fence-straddler. W7e must respond one way or the other. "How long halt ye between two opinions?" We must make our decision.

Choices worth making are often not easy. Nevertheless, we make them. So it may be for someone mak­ing this eternal decision. Let me offer one passage of encouragement from Isaiah. "For the Lord God will help me; therefore shall I not be con­founded: therefore have I set my face like a flint, and I know that I shall not be ashamed" (Isaiah 50:7). You will never be ashamed for making a choice for God. Let's "set our faces like flint" and make the right choice. "If God be for us, who can be against us?"

Translate

Our Friends

User Login