IMACHRISTIAN.NET

...the churches of Christ salute you! Rom 16:16

• Increase font size
  • Default font size
  • Decrease font size

Show Me

E-mail Print PDF

With what we said earlier about theLord's Supper-with this in mind -if a pattern means anything, we are as bound to use one cup in the Lord's Supper as we are to use fruit of the vine in that cup. It may not matter to many of our readers but it matters to us. We send this journal to many brethren who denounce the innovation of instrumental music in worship to God, but accept the more recent inno­vation of individual cups. (Instrumental music has been innovating since around 1860, with individual cups making inroads into churches of Christ in the early nineteen hundreds-at least bro. J.W. McGarvey wrote against their introduction around 1910.)

For those who care, our worship practice is precisely what Jesus did-"And as they did eat, Jesus took bread, and blessed, and brake it, and gave to them, and said, Take, eat: this is my body. And he took the cup, and when he had given thanks, he gave it to them: and they all drank of it" (Mark 14:22-23). "And as they were eating, Jesus took bread, blessed and broke it, and gave it to the disciples and said, Take, eat; this is my body.' Then he took the cup, and gave thanks, and gave it to them, saying, 'Drink from it, all of you' (Matthew 26:26-27 NKJV). Reasons for following this example are carried in earlier paragraphs.

Now we don't expect those of you who consider us "radical" and have no real respect for speaking where the Bible speaks to agree. We do want you to understand, however, that our prac­tice is as old as the New Testament, that we are doing precisely what our brethren generally preach..."Back to the Bible," "Do Bible things in Bible ways." Fault us for that if you will, but our practice will stand unquestionably approved when this world is on fire. I say "approved," because the Lord himself as much as said, "This is the way I want it done," and proceeded to show the apostles how. That is weighty.

Translate

Our Friends

User Login