IMACHRISTIAN.NET

...the churches of Christ salute you! Rom 16:16

• Increase font size
  • Default font size
  • Decrease font size

The Assembly

E-mail Print PDF

The church is more important  anything else that you can imagine. It is through the church that God's Will will be made manifest. Do you realize that if it were not for the congregation you are a member of, the Word of God wouldn't be spread through your community and through regions about? There might be someone now and then say some­thing about the Lord or about the things in the Bible, but would the Word be spread? Ephesians 3:10-11 shows that it's by the church the manifold wisdom of God is to be made known. And not only that, it declares that it is the eternal purpose which he purposed in Christ Jesus our Lord. It's God's plan! The church is that which must show the manifold wisdom of God.

Ah, but you say, the way of re­demption is given in God's Word, and that's true. We understand that, but stop and think with me-where did you hear the gospel? Where do you hear the things that build you up in service to God? Is it not mainly in an assembly of the church that you have been taught, that you have learned, that you have developed, that you even obeyed the gospel? Was it not a faithful Christian preacher or teacher that taught you in the assembly of the church? It was the way I learned.

I remember old brother Gay, brother Robertson, brother Fred Kirbo, brother Buffington back in my early days. They taught me these things. I learned them in the assem­bly of the church! Oh, my mother and dad sought to teach me, but that which really caused me to develop and grow was in the assembly of the church. Earthen vessels proclaimed the things that were needed to cause people to believe and have faith in God and His blessed Son. They told how he shed his blood for this won­derful institution-this glorious body which we're calling the church. The faith that would shield them from all the fiery darts of satan, help them to prevail in a troubled and seemingly hopeless world.

Do you remember the things that gospel preachers presented to you-they taught you how to repent. How to turn away from your sins. How to dedicate your body as living sacrifices to God, didn't they? They caused you to develop, to change your evil lifestyle, to change your outlook on life, to change your attitude to the ways of charity, of care for others, for thankfulness and good works and to build within you some determination to serve God above all other things. Was it not in the church that you learned these things?

Now think with me for a minute. If you had not attended the services of the church somewhere, and been there to receive the words such as I'm talking about right here, would you have ever known them? Would you have taken your Bible and just figured out all these things by your­self? Would you have come to the conclusions that you now have come to, and the understanding that you now have about what God expects of you if it had been left up to you just to try to search out everything?

I can answer that question for you. How much do you study the good Book right now? Do you apply your­self that much right now? Would you when you were in your sins, away from God, would you have wanted to know what was in the Bible? No, you attended an assembly of the body of Christ and you were taught-just like God intended it to be. It was His eternal purpose. He planned it that way!

In 1 Corinthians 1:21, Paul tells us, "For after that in the wisdom of God the world by wisdom knew not God, it pleased God by the foolish­ness of preaching to save them that believe." It's true, isn't it? By the foolishness of preaching, by the gos­pel being taught in the assembly of the church the manifold wisdom of God was brought to you. Absolutely! He intended for it to be that way. He knew people wouldn't dedicate them­selves to reading the Bible like they ought to and come up with the an­swers when they were yet in sin. By the foolishness of preaching He set this in order. The assembly of the church is so important. Don't neglect it.

Translate

Our Friends

User Login