IMACHRISTIAN.NET

...the churches of Christ salute you! Rom 16:16

• Increase font size
  • Default font size
  • Decrease font size
Home The Light Articles from 2010 Why Consider God?

Why Consider God?

E-mail Print PDF

Does God have a bearing on the  things you do, the decisions you make, the places you go, the reason you do or do not worship, the reading of your Bible or not? Why does He? Let us walk the pages of inspiration and listen to the voice of God tell us about Himself.

Our study looks at the reasoning behind man's need for God, and the blessings that can and do come out of a complete acceptance of and faithful compliance with God's plan for man. Let us note together why God should be considered.

God Is Not a Man

There are many things we are glad that God is not. One is, we are glad He is not a man. Man sins and is ever changing. This is not true of God.

Numbers 23:19: "God is not a man, that he should lie; neither the son of man, that he should repent: hath he said, and shall he not do it? or hath he spoken, and shall he not make it good?"

I Sam. 15:29: "And also the Strength of Israel -will not lie nor repent: for he is not a man, that he should repent. "

Jas 1:17: "Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, and cometh down from the Father of lights, with whom is no variableness, neither shadow of turning."

John 3:27: "John answered and said, A man can receive nothing, except it be given him from heaven. "

Mai 3:6: "For I am the Lord, I change not."

The inhabitants of this earth have lost many blessings and promises made by God because they do not know Him or His nature. They have often had very low expectations of Him or even abnormal expectations of Him. This occurs when man thinks of God as he would of a man. This cre­ates a number of problems for humanity.

Man cannot be everywhere at all times, yet God is! Man does not see the end from the beginning, but God does! Man does not know the universe before God made the earth and all therein, yet God vividly sees this time and has perfect knowledge of it. Man is not the source of life. Rather, the God of the Bible is the Father of life!

Heb 12:9: "...shall we not much rather be in subjection unto the Father of spirits, and live? "

John 5:21: "For as the Father raises up the dead, and quickens them; even so the Son quickens whom he will. "

John 5:26: "For as the Father hath life in himself; so hath he given to the Son to have life in himself. "

Ps 139:7-11: "Whither shall 1 go from thy spirit? or whither shall 1 flee from thy presence? If I ascend up into heaven, thou art there: if 1 make my bed in hell, behold, thou art there. If I take the wings of the morning, and dwell in the uttermost parts of the sea; Even there shall thy hand lead me, and thy right hand shall hold me. If I say, Surely the darkness shall cover me; even the night shall be light about me." When man is lead by the truth of God's Word, he becomes aware of the greatness and abilities of this wonder­ful and awesome God of the universe. Not knowing His greatness has lead man to hopelessness and despair as evidenced in Daniel's record of his life among the Babylonians.

Daniel 2:10: "The Chaldeans an­swered before the king, and said, There is not a man upon the earth that can show the king's matter: therefore there is no king, Lord, nor ruler, that asked such things at any magician, or astrologer, or Chaldean."

These certainly knew of the limita­tions of man, but not the greatness of the power of God. God is not a man!

God Is Always Right

Another reason we should consider God is the fact that He is always right. Foolish is the man who does not be­lieve this about our God. Our God is not just any God. Rather, he is the only true and living God.

1 Sam. 15:29: "And also the Strength of Israel will not lie nor repent: for he is not a man, that he should repent. "

We may not agree with what God has said, but God is always right. We must bow and submit to this line of thinking for it will never be otherwise. Clearly, according to God's holy Word, there are not many real gods for man to listen to or follow, but only the true God of the Bible, the one in whose image we have been made.

Ex 20:3: "Thou shalt have no other gods before me."

The fact that God has always been right, adds the greatest measure of stability to all things. Whatever area of life's endeavors we face, God can and should be consulted in all things. Time has proven the faithfulness of God and His Word. "There will be a flood." One hundred years went by and it happened. Deaths, famine, enslave­ment, rising and falling of kings and rulers have been foretold by God thru His Word and the words of His proph­ets-all of these came true. God is al­ways right! The truthfulness of God is a great comfort to all the saved. We know He will not lie and can not be wrong.

The Bible, the Bible, the Bible is right Being of God, it's heaven's great light If I'm against it, I'll lose the fight It stands correct both day and night The Bible, the Bible, the Bible is right.

God Is To Be Obeyed

Obedience is not an option with man if he is to please God and be saved. God will be honored and obeyed by all that are told to come and enter into heaven and all its glories.

John 12:50: "And I know that his commandment is life everlasting: whatsoever I speak therefore, even as the Father said unto me, so I speak. "

God's dealings with man for good come through man's willingness to obey him. This is a foundational fact taught in every covenant era of time. Adam and Eve learned this, Cain learned this, Noah and those in his time learned this, etc.

Jesus taught this conclusively in many of his teachings. Note his teach­ing in Luke's record:

Luke 6:46: "And why call ye me, Lord, Lord, and do not the things which I say? "

Jesus can not be Lord of any one for good that will not obey him! Obe­dience is the proof mark that Jesus is Lord over a life. This is a true principle God has often taught His people.

Note this point made by the prophet of old:

Mal 1:6:"A son honoureth his father, and a servant his master: if then I be a father, where is mine honour? and if I be a master, where is my fear? saith the Lord of hosts unto you, O priests, that despise my name. And ye say, Wherein have we despised thy name? "

As a son shows his sonship to his father by honoring his father's position and a servant shows his servitude to his master by honoring his master's position, a slave of Christ (a servant) will show the Lordship of Christ by obeying him.

When He is Lord of one's life, he will be honored when his servants allow him to speak, when they listen and then when they willingly obey him.

This standard has been echoed by the writers of the Bible in every dis­pensation. Moses knew of the need of obedience also in his record in Deuter­onomy 11.

Deut 11:27-28: "A blessing, if ye obey the commandments of the Lord your God, which I command you this day: And a curse, if ye will not obey the commandments of the Lord your God, but turn aside out of the way which I command you this day, to go after other gods, which ye have not known. " Christ, as author and finisher of the Christian faith, is identified as the author of eternal salvation to "them that obey."

Heb 5:9: " And being made perfect, he became the author of eternal salvation unto all them that obey him. "

A pertinent question would be... "Do you obey Him, do I obey God? " Oh, the great hope we have in the com­forting promises of God in His Word. Paul wrote of some of these precious promises made by inspiration to the Hebrews.

Heb 11:6: "But without faith it is im­possible to please him: for he that cometh to God must believe that he is, and that he is a rewarder of them that diligently seek him."

God does and will continue to re­ward the faithful, for they are the obe­dient. They love him as commanded, and love is shown by doing.

Matt. 7:21: "Not every one that saith unto me, Lord, Lord, shall enter into the kingdom of heaven; but he that doeth the will of my Father which is in

heaven."

1 John 3:18: "My little children, let us not love in word, neither in tongue; but in deed and in truth. "

Jesus identified doing as necessary for a crown of life—Rev. 2:10 -"... be thou faithful unto death, and I will give thee a crown of life. " "Be thou faith-

ful" is a command of action, a verb. There is something to be done to re­ceive the harvest of a Crown of life. What is it? Be Faithful! Obedience is not a suggestion. It is a command.

Obeying God was required of King Saul and Saul failed the test. This is one of many things Paul explained as "written for our learning."

Rom. 15:14:"For whatsoever things were written aforetime were written for our learning, that we through pa­tience and comfort of the scriptures might have hope."

We can recognize the sad dilemma Saul found himself in when he refused to obey and did what he and others thought would be acceptable to God.

1 Sam. 15:26-38: "And Samuel said unto Saul, I will not return with thee: for thou hast rejected the word of the Lord, and the Lord hath rejected thee from being king over Israel. And as Samuel turned about to go away, he laid hold upon the skirt of his mantle, and it rent. And Samuel said unto him, The Lord hath rent the kingdom of Israel from thee this day, and hath given it to a neighbor of thine, that is better than thou."

To God, obedience is better even than just being religious. Obeying God proves our devoted love to Him.

1 Sam. 15:22: "And Samuel said, Hath the Lord as great delight in burnt of­ferings and sacrifices, as in obeying the voice of the Lord? Behold, to obey is better than sacrifice, and to hearken than the fat of rams. "

Acts 5:29: "Then Peter and the other apostles answered and said, We ought to obey God rather than men. "

1 John 5:3: "For this is the love of God that we keep his commandments: and his commandments are not grievous. "  Our obedience says it all to God and others. He is first in our lives and we are not ashamed that it is so. Our obedience proves we believe He can id will make out of us what we cannot do ourselves.

If you love me you 'II obey me " said the Master long ago since He cannot lie to us,

then this must be so obedience spells the answer, whether we 're saved or lost together let's obey Him, no matter what the cost.

When the God of the Bible and God's Bible are not the sole authorities in your religion, then your soul's reli­gion has no eternal authority.

-582 Murry Kittrell Rd. Readyville, TN37149

Translate

Our Friends

User Login