IMACHRISTIAN.NET

...the churches of Christ salute you! Rom 16:16

• Increase font size
  • Default font size
  • Decrease font size

Our Daily Bread

E-mail Print PDF

n the Saviour's model composition of the proper example of prayer, we find words that should greatly encourage every member of that kingdom which has now :ome-"Give us this day our daily bread" (Matt. 6:11). It is humbling to know that the Creator and Great Par­ent of all is not only the Preserver of the human family but He is also the constant Provider for the needs of those who have placed confidence in Him through gospel obedience. Yes, fellow Christian, God is concerned with our lives! Have we pled today for "bread"?

Every thing necessary to sustain life comes to us from the caring hand of God. We are dependent on Him for the supply of our physical needs. While it is a constant endeavor to put bread on the table, the Father of ev­ery good gift is mindful of that daily natural desire. What a blessing to know that for "he that walketh righ­teously... bread shall be given him" (Isa. 33:15-16). We are further in­spired of God's interest in the faithful by the Psalmist: "I have been young, and now am old; yet have I not seen the righteous forsaken, nor his seed begging bread" (Ps. 37:25).

This daily provision should never be taken for granted. Our sense of taste (a wonderful part of our human make-up) should ever remind us of a loving heavenly Father who puts bread on our tables every day! Have we thanked Him for our daily bread?

Now, if the Provider is so in tune with our physical, daily struggles (and He is!), how much more He must love us in regard to our spiritual contest. The strenuous effort that is required to overcome the opposition, in living soberly, righteously and godly in this present world, is a constant daily battle. Yet, do not be anx­ious. "Daily bread" is available as sustenance to the faithful. "For the bread of God is he which cometh down from heaven, and giveth life unto the world" (John 6:33). God wants us to be saved. He is "for" us! So much so, that He gave His blessed Son to die for our sins. That Son WILL "present to himself a glorious church, not having spot, or wrinkle, or any such thing;" but one "holy and without blemish" (Eph. 5:27). You and I can be a part of that certain presentation. How? "I am the living bread which came down from hea­ven: if any man eat of this bread, he shall live forever: and the bread that I give is my flesh, which I will give for the life of the world" (John 6:51).

Again, it is humbling to realize that the host of heaven observes our struggle here below and stands ever ready to provide the support neces­sary to help us overcome. With such "daily bread" promised and faithfully delivered to all who are true follow­ers of Christ, it becomes less likely for us to be separated from the love of God. Therefore, from bended knees and grateful hearts may heaven hear us humbly plead, "Give us this day our daily bread." And let us make such petition every day!

Translate

Our Friends

User Login