IMACHRISTIAN.NET

...the churches of Christ salute you! Rom 16:16

• Increase font size
  • Default font size
  • Decrease font size
Home The Light Articles from 2013 The Influence of Parents

The Influence of Parents

E-mail Print PDF

Years ago my father and I went to the pasture to bring in a cow with a new calf. The cow was gentle and somewhat of a pet. However, she hid her calf and ran to the other side of the pasture. My question was, "how are we going to catch her?" The answer was, "All we have to do is catch the calf and she will follow us to the barn." This proved true. When mama saw he was carrying her calf, she followed into the pen. This is one reason the devil wants our children. All too often, when a child is in the arms of the devil, the parents follow along.

In his sermon about the prodigal son, brother Ty Taylor made this point, "No matter how far away the young man went, he knew where his father was." The admonition is for parents to stand firm on the truth as an anchor for their children. Too many times we see parents turn lib­eral because their children are in error. This is especially true in the area of divorce and remarriage.

When children mess up their first marriage and begin another, the par­ents are tempted to become liberal on that subject. 1 Samuel 3:13 quotes God saying concerning Eli, "For I have told him that I will judge his house for ever for the iniquity which he knoweth; because his sons made themselves vile and he restrained them not. "

Children
Your children know where you are, and will respect you if you stand by your convictions. Let them know you have convictions! Let them know you disapprove of their sin­ning, but love them anyway. My mother often told me-"silence gives consent." This is a warning to par­ents, preachers and teachers. You can't ignore sin and expect it to go away!

Paul told Timothy, "Take heed unto thyself, and unto the doctrine; continue in them: for in doing this thou shalt both save thyself, and them that hear thee" (1 Tim. 4:16). In the spiritual war there is no room for compromise.

Genesis 5:30 says, "Lamech lived after he begat Noah five hundred ninety and five years, and begat sons and daughters." Did you ever think about Noah having brothers and sis­ters? They refused to believe him when he told of the coming destruc­tion. This did not change his determination to serve God. His sons stayed with him and were spared from death. All of his other relatives died in the flood.

When Jesus was teaching, John tells us "neither did his brethren be­lieve in him" (John 7:5). It is not easy to stay on course when those we love go astray. Remember there is no reward in error. The praise of men does not reflect the praise of God.

2 Samuel 15 tells how Absalom, the son of David rebelled against his father. As he sought to take the king­dom, David fled for his life. When Joab slew Absalom (2 Sam. 18:14-15) David wept bitterly. Oh the pain in the heart of a parent when death overtakes their child in sin! That is what the devil hopes for! "Stand therefore, having your loins girt about with truth, and having on the breastplate of righteousness!" (Ephe-sians 6:14). -105 West Jefferson, Rich-land, MO 65556

Translate

Our Friends

User Login